Tuesday

September 11 in America

Prior to 2001, September 11 was just another date on the calendar. There was nothing notable about that date. Sure there had been a few historical events that took place, a few noteworthy births and deaths, but nothing that made it anything other than an ordinary day. In 2001 that changed for Americans. For the first time in sixty years United States territory came under large scale attack. The history of that date is known by all. Just the same, everyone who witnessed the attack on TV, let alone those who saw it in living color, will remember where they were when they heard the news.

I was in college at the time, attending a community college in North Carolina. Assuming the building is still there 11 years later, I could show you within inches where I was sitting when I heard what happened. A TV was brought into the main cafeteria/common area for people to watch what was happening. The images of the aircraft hitting the towers, people jumping from 80th floor windows, the towers collapsing and any number of others will forever be burned into my mind.

It was not until I got in my car to drive home that I heard that the Pentagon had been attacked. This was most significant to me being from a military family and living in a military town, hearing that someone had been able to attack the Pentagon, the very symbol of the US military was shocking.

In the days that followed, I remember everyone trying to comprehend what had happened and really struggling to do so. I remember watching people show a general dislike of all Muslim people, a dislike, even hatred, that still exists in America today.

Since then, America has entered into wars going after those suspected to be part of the plot. After nearly ten years, we were able to find and kill Osama bin Laden. We have, hopefully, made it more difficult to be a terrorist.

We all need to take time today, everyday, to remember those Americans who died on September 11, 2001. Some were heros, some were innocent people going about their daily lives. All tragically died that day. We must carry on for those people.

As I was on the course today, I got to thinking about everything. I remembered this song that came out not too long after the attacks. It's a very good song and perhaps something that all people should listen to and apply in their lives.




No comments:

Post a Comment